Thursday, March 20. 2014
Two things of note:
It has been fun and invigorating to hear the responses of those who are seeing the results and direction of this work for the first time! More thoughts to come...
Monday, February 3. 2014
Back in August, I mentioned that I taught Evergreen, Koha, and VuFind how to express library holdings in schema.org via the
The language for some of the terminology may seem a little overly commercial right now, but the next iteration of the schema.org standard will adopt language that more broadly supports non-commercial activities... and this broadening of a number of schema.org definitions is also an outcome of the Schema BibEx community efforts. I'm pretty happy with the results of the group over the last six months! Hopefully this sheds some long-overdue light on some of the results of our efforts, and helps other systems adopt our group's recommended practices for exposing metadata via schema.org.
On , I'll be participating in Laurentian University's Research Week lightning talks. Unlike most five-minute lightning talk events in which I've participated, the time limit for each talk tomorrow will be one minute. Imagine 60 different researchers getting up to summarize their research in one minute each, and you have what is likely to be a brain-melting hour. Should be fun!
Here's a rough draft of what I'm planning to say (which, when read at an even cadence with decent intonation, comes out to exactly one minute:)
What would you understand if you read the _entire_ world wide web?
Thursday, January 30. 2014
Tuesday was not the greatest day, but at least each setback resulted in a triumph...
First, the periodical proposal
for schema.org--that I have poured a good couple of months of effort
into--took a step closer to reality when Dan Brickley announced
on the public-vocabs list that he had created a test build that
incorporated the RDFS that I had written up. Excitement rapidly turned to
horror, though, as I realized that I had made a classic copy/paste error, in
which I had changed the displayed name of the
Luckily, after I fixed the RDFS, Dan was able to put together a revised test build later that day that actually reflected our intentions. So that can continue moving forward...
Second, our Evergreen instance started acting up rather badly. All of the connections to the database server were being gobbled up, and we were scrambling to figure out why. While I'm on sabbatical I'm not really supposed to be involved in the day-to-day operations, but when a core service stops running it's okay for research to wait for a little bit... Eventually I tracked down a fix for a potential denial of service problem (Search result rendering can crush the system) that hadn't been merged into our production system (the fix came out after the start of my sabbatical), and shortly after I put that into production we were back up and running.
Third, after the Evergreen problem was resolved, Bill Dueber pinged me
innocently on IRC. He had run into a problem with File_MARC; when serializing
MARC as MARC-in-JSON format, fields with a subfield
(Page 1 of 21, totaling 82 entries) » next page
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.