And now I've finished leading the RDFa + schema.org codelab that I've been stressing over and refining for about a month at the American Library Association annual conference Practical linked data with open source preconference. Long story short, most people got about as far as I expected (part-way through the first exercise), but they all got through the initial hurdles and learned enough to keep learning on their own. My hopes are that this leads to:
- the implementation of structured or even linked data in existing systems, for those that at least have systems that give them the ability to edit their HTML templates
- the addition of linked data to library web pages the next time they get refreshed or redesigned (it happens pretty often!)
- some patterns of implementation, so that we hopefully arrive at a relatively standard way of marking up the same metadata (given the many alternatives that we have just within schema.org for something like a publisher)
- when tweaking templates for display or design purposes, to avoid mangling existing structured data that a system like Evergreen, Koha, or VuFind publishes by default
- more awesomeness in the world of library metadata!
Oh, and for posterity, I temporarily marked up this page to link to our pizza order form as a really lame short URL service, and as I did that impishly polluted the schema.org vocabulary with the new type PizzaOrderPreferences. I don't think that's going to make it into the official vocab though! The code was:
<p vocab="http://schema.org/" typeof="PizzaOrderPreferences"> And <a href="http://doodle.com/exampleblahblah" property="url">order pizza here</a>.</p><p>If our pizza order doesn't get gamed, that just shows how few people visit my blog! </p>